Ropner Park, Stockton-on-Tees was opened to the public in 1893. The park was named after the wealthy shipowner and builder, Sir Robert Ropner. He was also MP for Stockton when he donated the money to buy the land. It soon became an important open space on the edge of an expanding town for the locals to enjoy fresh air, relax, play and generally enjoy.
With the aid of £2.4 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund it has now been restored to its original Victorian splendour. And some splendour that is. It is truly a magnificent park. It has large open spaces which are well looked after and cared for. It also has sculptures, fountains, flower displays and lovely walks. At the far end is a beautiful lake with swans and ducks.
There are also bowling greens, tennis courts and an elegant bandstand. The bowling greens date back to the earliest days and the club celebrated its centenary in 1995. Visitors are welcome.The children’s play area is brand new and one of the best in the area. Climbing frames, a pirate ship and a zip line are just a few of the attractions. All safe and well looked after. A pavilion serving refreshments is open all day.
Summer Season (21st March to 21st October) 6am to 9pm
Winter Season (21st October to 21st March) 6am to 5.30pm